Termites (also known as White Ants) love moist and damp areas.
In order for termites to live happily, they require water and they survive best in damp, moist ground. If you don't want termites, you need to keep your property dry.
Well ventilated areas will help to keep conditions dry.
If you do find termites in your home, your first priority should be to address any moisture issues. If the source of water is removed, most termite colonies will not survive. You may also need to replace the damp, infested wood if it is damaged badly enough.
To prevent termite issues:
- Make sure you fix any leaking water pipes and drains first
- Remove any termite colonies close to your building vicinity
- If building and/or renovating, reduce the amount of timber used in the construction - especially in inaccessible sub-floor areas and places you need inspection access
- Try not to leave any timber formwork behind, especially if it’s beneath a suspended floor
- Avoid storing potential termite food like tree stumps or logs near buildings and only use termite-treated (resistant) timber
- Ensure regular pest inspections are scheduled with a pest controller (in early spring to late summer is best as termites are most active at this time)
- Improve the sub-floor ventilation with the installation of vents, ducting and appropriate fans
VENTILATE is a business that can help implement preventative measures to avoid a termite problem and will offer a free inspection and quote.
We offer professionally installed solutions using fan systems that will significantly improve moisture-ridden areas in your home.
Please call and speak to the friendly business owner Shaun on 0412 877828.